Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sick People AKA Why we need God

I hardly pay attention to the news. I should continue not to. People are sick and demented. A lady, from where I don't remember, was recently convicted for MICROWAVING her child. Yes, you read that right. I had to re-read the article myself. SICK SICK SICK. It said she was fighting with her boyfriend over the child or something to that extent.
This and a conversation I had at some point in life with a friend over their many significant others whether relationships or random dating has made me think about how much we really do need God to be the center of our lives. How unhappy and sick was that mother that killed her child because of her need to be with her boyfriend and was willing to get rid of her own flesh and blood to do so. You could subsitute boyfriend with money, power, anything almost. If we're not placing God at the center, than bad things happen.
We really do not need other human beings to make us happy. We need God to make us "happy" and the rest will fall into place. I'm not saying that if you're a Christian you will be loved by everyone, but I believe that if we follow God and place him in the center of our lives, he will lead us to a place where we will have support from other Christians. No one, no thing can ever fill that void. I look at celebrities and see all the crud they do and I do think, boy do they have a Jesus shaped hole in their hearts. It's true! Yes, that sounds Sunday school-ish, but it is true. Why do you think that God wrote that we were to have no other gods before Him? It is because he is the only one that can fill that Jesus shaped hole. I look at Britney Spears when she is on the tv and the media is tearing her apart and I feel sooooo sorry for her. She is such a mess. She needs someone to come into her life and help her turn her life to God. I have friends in my own life who need to stop filling the emptiness with things other than God. It is hard to tell people that they have a Jesus shaped hole in their hearts sometimes, but it is TRUE.
Why do we place other things before God? Well, for one, we're big sinners. And living in a sinful world just helps us keep going with that sinfulness in our own lives. It is so much easier to place things in front of God (so we think) than to stop, pray and read about God. Sinning can be fun. It is hard to be good. I watch my son do naughty things like touching the trash can or other things he isn't supposed to do and he enjoys doing those things. (Gross, yes).
I'm kinda loosing my train of thought, but it all comes down to the fact that we need to be Christ centered in our lives. Only Christ can fill us. Only Christ can make us happy. Only Christ can make us feel like a real person. Only Christ can make us clean in a dirty world. Only Christ can save us. I could go on. You get the point.

No comments: