Friday, November 7, 2008

Find Your Fun

I had orchestra rehearsal last night. I finally practiced my piece with some determination to master some rather difficult parts with nearly impossible fingerings. I'm tell you, Tchikowski was no flute player. That's besides the point. As I was playing and finally able to play those tricky measures I realized how much fun I have playing. I think when we get to be adults we put behind some of those things that use to give us so much pleasure as children. Who says that you can't still play on a soccer team or still play your musical instrument? There are plenty of outlets in most major cities for people who want to continue something that they enjoyed earlier in life. I think that not finding a fun outlet is another reason why so many people are so glum all of the time. I'm around other mothers quite often and I don't see a lot of sparkle anymore. I sometimes think, do these women really know how to have fun anymore? We get so bogged down by the trials and not so fun stuff that we have to deal with as adults that we forget to have fun once in a while. I love playing my flute in the New Life Symphony Orchestra. Yes I'd love it more if I got paid for it, but that isn't the point of this orchestra. I have fun, it is challenging, and it is something that is unique and different about me because I really don't know a whole lot of adults who still have hobbies that they began when they were only 11 years old. Go find your fun. Join a club, band, team, whatever and stop being so gloomy and feeling sorry for yourself.

1 comment:

Rachel Bostwick said...

I love that you still play. I still have my clarinet, but it needs all new corks and I have no reeds. Sad. But my fun is my computer. When I went back to school, I was going to try for a teacher's certificate because that would have been Useful. But I wasn't really interested in teaching, so I decided to go for web design instead, and I love every minute of my classes. Plus, I'd like to be able to build webpages for churches and small businesses and work at home moms while I work from home myself. That's my goal.